Friday, October 30, 2009

On A Walk To Remember

You know, for a guy who is stereotypically portrayed as macho, jock-y, even as an asshole at some points, I do enjoy a good chick flick.

It's actually a well known fact. And I tend to surround myself with like minded friends. Most of them love the tearjerkers as well.

So it was with little trepidation that I put the film A Walk To Remember into my Netflix queue. However, it is worth noting that I did not do it unsolicited.

Girlfriend's favorite flick. Mandy Moore (who is number two on my list of celebrity crushes). Death.

This is the triad of Haastile joy.

So let's talk about this shall we. And I'll refrain from talking about Ms. Moore for as long as I possibly can.

There's a few problems I had with this movie:

First off, who the hell cast tranny look-alike Daryl Hannah as Shane West's mom? Obviously someone owed her a major favor. She was certainly a scene stealer, but for the wrong reasons. Instead of recognizing her brilliant acting, I instead scrolled her scenes frame by frame searching in vain for her Adam's apple, or signs of a wang.

Second, even in dowdy clothing and bad hair, Mandy Moore is not ugly. Don't try to make her ugly. It's like taking The Last Supper and putting Pop Tarts on the table. Criminal.

Third, well...I got nothing. This movie ruled.

Here's some things that I loved.

First, the line "I might kiss you."

Instead of following this cliched line with "I might let you," the filmmakers instead decided to go with "I might be bad at it."

Stopped me dead in my tracks. What a great answer!

Second, it was obvious that something was up with Mandy Moore from the start of the film. However, they waited a good while into the movie to tell you what it was. I liked the suspense.

Third, sure, the idea of Shane West and Mandy getting married at such a young age is kind of stupid. But it's romantic and heartfelt. That always gets me.

I'm a big softy.

Fourth, prominent Mandy Moore singing. Something about her voice captivates me. Same with Mel actually. Hmm, draw your own conclusions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment