Wednesday, October 28, 2009

On Experimentation

There's three words that I dread hearing come out of my father's mouth.

"Here, try this."

The first time I remember hearing those words, I was five years old, and he had a fork full of potato salad in his hand. I have hated potato salad ever since then.

Generally, when he says these words, he was normally created some kind of strange taste sensation that he loves, but might cause other peoples' skin to crawl.

The only concoction that I remember loving was iced tea and orange juice. And he didn't even come up with that, my grandmother did.

Anyway, the reason that I bring it up today is that I waled in the house, and without even a hello, I heard "Here, try this,"

Once I heard the phrase repeated, I walked back in to the kitchen to find my father extending a glass of red wine my way.

I'm a wine snob, everyone knows this.

Long story short, I didn't enjoy the scarlet liquid that I imbibed.

However, it got me thinking about the idea of taking chances and experimentation as a whole.

Sexually, experimentation can be quite a pleasurable experience. That one I can attest to.

Romantically, taking chances can be incredible. They can also ruin your life.

Emotionally, taking chances is the same as romance. It's all hit or miss.

But you never know unless you try. And I'm going to try more from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment