Sunday, October 25, 2009

On Fantasy Football

As a young sportswriter last year, I wrote an article for the Binghamton University newspaper about the maddening qualities of fantasy football.

Few things in life have the potential to cause my inevitable mental breakdown than fantasy sports. Football is normally the biggest mindfuck of the whole lot.

I spent (and yes, I really did count the minutes) 49 minutes today switching my fantasy roster spots back and forth. Ultimately, the choice between starting Minnesota's Percy Harvin or Arizona's Anquan Boldin, both of whom are very questionable, came down to several factors.

First, the things I should be basing this decision on:

1. Harvin plays an extremely tough Steelers defense, and his sore shoulder may not hold up.

2. Boldin is playing a good defense (NY Giants), and is nursing an injury (high ankle sprain) that normally keeps players out for weeks.

3. Boldin is tough as nails, and always plays hurt. Harvin does too, but plays fewer downs.

Then of course, there's the crazy reasons that I took into consideration. And these of course, are the reasons that I truly base my decisions upon.

1. The Cardinals have cuter uniforms, which went in favor of Boldin.

2. www.flip-coin.com, which also told me to start Boldin.

3. ESPN's Adam Schefter first updated his Twitter account with Harvin's status for today, but seven minutes later updated Boldin's, so there was no help there.

Ultimately, I went with Boldin, which I am praying does not eventually come back and bite me in the ass. But it will, because the colossal bitch that is fantasy football just loves to mess with my emotions.

And yes, I am well aware that I sound like a mental patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment