Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Appearances Can Be Deceiving

So here's a nice little story for you, the reader.

This morning, I ventured into my friendly neighborhood post office, with the intention of mailing out a package. More specifically, a padded mailing envelope.

Stepping up to the counter to the middle-aged clerk behind the counter, I explained that I wanted to mail this package out. This event went off without a hitch, until my transaction was nearly complete, and she asked me "IS there anything else I can help you with, stamps, additional postage, etc?"

Realizing that I was indeed low on stamps, I requested a book of stamps.

She pulled out a sheet of stamps depicting everyone's favorite TV family, the Simpsons.

She then proceeded to say to me, "These look like the stamps for you," and patted me on the top of my head.

Shrugging off the fact that that this freaking mouth breather just made me feel like I was four years old, I only managed to stammer "Umm, why would you assume that I wanted these?"

Her answer was baffling.

"Well, hon, what are you, 16 or 17? You kids love these Simpsons. My grandson loves them. He's 12."

Ladies and gentlemen, I haven't looked 17 since I was oh, 15. Now I'll be the first to admit that when I am clean shaven, I am a babyface. However, as of this writing, I have a full goatee, and that not withstanding, I am over six feet tall.

So, here she got 17 years old from is beyond me.

I guess she could sense my frustration, because she then said "But if you don't want these, I can give you the regular adult (loved that) stamps.

"No! I want these," I stated. "They're super cool."

I then pulled out my credit card and paid for my purchase.

"And by the way," I said "I"m not 17...but thanks for the compliment."

The gentleman behind me in line began belly laughing as I exited the establishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment