Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Most Important Test

A lot of people fear the SATs, or LSATs. Others fear AP tests or exit exams from college.

I have always feared another, much more important test; meeting a significant others parents.

I've never really had too much difficulty with these meetings, but they do always send shivers down my spine, because hey, who in their right mind is really comfortable with the idea of someone romancing their offspring?

However, I would like to share a fun experience with you, the reader.

I was 17, ages ago, and had begun to date a girl named Michelle. She wasn't the best looking of females, but I was young and I really just wanted to get my first kiss over with (Yes, the Haastile One was a late bloomer, shut up).

Now let me sum myself up briefly. I'm 6'1", and athletically built and have blond hair and blue eyes. Joking friends used to call me the Aryan Warrior.

Anyway, Michelle failed to mention that two of her father's childhood years were spent in a concentration camp during World War II.

So I ended up walking into a man who took one look at me, and started screaming that I was unfit to date, simply because of the way I look.

I'd consider it profiling, but that would be unfair to people who have actually been profiled.

Long story short, the romance lasted for roughly another week before things ended. Badly. She ended up going to prom three weeks later with one of my best friends.

Back to my point though.

That first meeting can be crucial to the way that parents think about you. But it doesn't need to be a soul crushing experience. Most parents are pretty nice, and realize that the situation is nerve wracking. As I've said, it can't be easy for them either.

However, to diffuse the situation, just show up with a Mel-lynn (and anyone who gets that joke is very smart indeed). A Mel-lynn is the perfect gift for any parent. It'll be loved by everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment