Friday, August 28, 2009

It's ours, let's keep it.

Ok, so here it is; I am a red-blooded American male, and a sports fanatic.

There may very well be a support group devoted to people like me.

However kids, my opinion matters just a bit more than the average person, because I've actually been paid to write about the world of sports, and tossing humility aside, I am damn good at it.

So here's what's eating me today; people, or more importantly, men in America complaining about the game of baseball.

I'm sure that there's a lot of other things that someone could sit and bitch about when it comes to the game, but these are the top three:

1. The games take too long.
-this is not McDonald's, it's not supposed to be fast. If you want a quick game, go play air hockey. Baseball is athletics at it's finest form (leave your steroid comments at the door, I'll get to that in a minute). A pitcher versus a batter. Man versus man.

These showdowns take time, so suck it up.

2. There's nothing here for women.
Since when don't women enjoy baseball? Former hottest woman on Earth Alyssa Milano does commercials for fantasy baseball, so doesn't that automatically mean that women like it?

No?

Oh, ok. Disregard that then.

3. All the players are on steroids.
- So are all the players in the NFL, NHL, NBA and professional wakeboarding.

Bottom line, I can sit here and complain about Barry Bonds or whoever hitting a bunch of homers and then claiming to have done it completely clean.

Bonds, your head is the size of a large pumpkin...it wasn't that way ten years ago. You can build muscle, but not in your cerebellum.

However, what's the point? Steroids equal big numbers on the field, which leads to big numbers off the field.

Are steroids the answer to lagging attendance and revenue numbers? You never know.

That being said, do I condone the use of steroids in professional sports? No.

But as the old adage goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

So if asses start to fill the seats, whether it's at the ballpark or on the sofa, I'll keep my mouth shut about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment