Sunday, August 30, 2009

An Essential Skill

While I was bumming around the house today, a question suddenly appeared in my head.

"What is one essential skill that every man should have?"

Some would say the ability to sew. Others (probably all female) would probably demand that this fictional man have the ability to service a woman orally.

Personally, I can do both, so I ain't worrying.

Back to the task at hand, and the answer was right in front of me, literally.

I looked down to realize that I was chopping an onion in order to facilitate the making of a Philly cheesesteak (Postscript: It was delicious).

At that moment, it hit me. Every man should be able to cook a real meal.

I'm not talking about grilling either, as most of my friends will tell me that they can "cook" because they can slap a piece of meat on a searing hot surface and burn it to perfection.

Anyone can do that.

And anyone can microwave some pizza rolls.

No, I'm talking about going to the store, buying the raw ingredients, and preparing a real, home cooked meal.

This my friends (and I'm talking to 99% of my college comrades here) will necessitate more than one pot or pan more than likely.

So pay attention here guys, I'm gonna give you a real easy meal, and hopefully, you won't end up burning the house down.

Go to the store and purchase the following:

-one box of whatever your favorite pasta happens to be.
-one jar of pasta sauce, whatever flavor you dig.

THAT'S ALL YOU NEED!

This isn't rocket science people.

So here's the directions for this meal, one by one.

1. Get a pot.

2. Fill the pot 2/3 of the way with water.....still with me?

3. Put the pot over the burner on the stove. The stove should be on, probably high heat.

4. Bring the water to a boil. Salt may speed up this process, but just a little.

Does your head hurt yet?

5. Once the water is boiling, put in the pasta and cook until it sticks to the wall (Guys will love tossing hot carbs at the wall).

6. In the meantime, in a saucepan (look it up), heat the sauce, low heat will suffice.

7. Once the pasta is sticking the wall, drain it in the sink, preferably in a colander or strainer, not just directly into the sink.

8. Serve the pasta/sauce in a bowl. Or plate. Or whatever you eat food off of.

Making this simple meal for a girl will guarantee you at least a little makeout time. The fancier the better though.

Ask my buddy Dave, when he makes Chicken Cordon Bleu, it slays the female species.

-And that kids, is a Haastile lesson in cooking.

1 comment:

  1. This is all very true. Sometimes I grow angry with myself because I'll make chicken penne a la vodka or spaghetti with meatballs, garlic bread and side salad and I'll spend more time adding spices to the sauce than I do eating the whole meal.

    Pro Tip: Learn to make a single dinner that looks incredibly elaborate. This wounds the feminine heart. Learn to make a breakfast involving all three primary colors. This officially slay it and guarantees further romantic encounters.

    And now you know.

    ReplyDelete