Saturday, September 5, 2009

Recommendations

I am certainly not a person who likes to be told anything.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that.

So it is with great trepidation that I accept anyone's input on anything that I'll supposedly "love."

Food, movies, music. Doesn't matter. Your recommendations mean nothing to me. If it's something that I feel that I'll like, I might try it, view it, listen to it.

I've lived by this credo for many years, but I have stuck to it like a secret oath for over a year now, ever since I finally mustered the courage to partake in the Mexicano treat they call Chipotle.

Let me preface this with the following: I love Tex-Mex food, Spanish comida, Puerto Rican fare, anything of that persuasion.

I can safely say this to you now. I will never eat Chipotle again. Never mind the ludicrous prices they charge for barely any food. It's just not good.

A good friend of mine always talks about how great the place is. The last time he did so, I almost backhanded across the face.

Music is another area where I will accept little to no input. In fact, there is only one person who consistently tells me about good music.

The latest of which was Halestorm's "I Get Off."

Suggestive title huh? It's a good song. But since I won't take input from anyone, why should you take mine?

But for every great song from a band like Halestorm, there's a million from bands like Kasabian.

Who?

Exactly.

Finally, movies.

Listen, I love the classics, ok. Casablanca and the Godfather. Citizen Kane and the Wizard of Oz.

All wonderful flicks.

But as I said earlier, for every Raging Bull, there's a countless list of real duds.

The Deer Hunter.

Three words I never want to hear again.

I love Robert DeNiro. I love Christopher Walken. Hell, I even love that squirrely guy who played Fredo in the Godfather who's in this film.

I HATED The Deer Hunter. I waited so impatiently for it to end.

Why did I hang on for the duration?

Because I wanted to say that I gave it a fair shot.

Oh, and I'm a glutton for punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment