Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On The Works Of Stieg Larsson

I have never been much of a book critic.

Sure, I have incredibly strong opinions about practically everything in life, but I never really pontificate about books. Mainly because, well, most people don't even read them anymore.

So it is with great enthusiasm that I recommend to you, my reader, the complete Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series, also known as The Millennium Trilogy, penned by the late Stieg Larsson.

Granted I'm only halfway through the second book in the trilogy, but I'm loving my life thus far.

Maybe it's just the feeling of thinking I'm a detective trying to figure out a mystery. Because in all honesty, Shaggy and Scooby have nothing on this guy.

A small warming though, the books are very wordy. They're also incredibly descriptive, and can be repetitive. But seeing as Larsson wrote these books mainly for his own pleasure, and not for the mass market, I guess I can't really complain.

Also, the repetition is good for someone with as limited an attention span as me.

Don't get me wrong, I love to read. Anyone who knows anything about me will tell you that. The issue in my case is that I will give up on a book after as little as five pages if the text doesn't grab me.

I made it three pages into The Catcher in the Rye the first time that I tried to read it. I have read it three times since and it's in now one of my all time favorites.

These Larsson books start very slow, but I sluggishly plowed through the first book simply based on speculation.

I was not disappointed in the slightest.

However, the second book moves in roughly the same manor, and about 300 pages in, finally picks up. Be patient, it's worth it. And again, that's coming from me, the master of the short attention span.

I'm also told that the film versions (the Swedish ones) of these books are pretty incredible as well.

I guess we all know what my impending Netflix deliveries will contain. Well, that and Leprechaun in the Hood.

Guilty pleasures never go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment