Saturday, December 5, 2009

On Reading

I was just reminiscing, and I remembered that one of my fondest memories of my childhood was trekking to the public library one a week with my mom.

I loved the excitement of picking out different books, and increasing my skill level of reading as I went along. I was reading long chapter books by the time I was six.

Hell, later in life I even worked at that same public library for two years in high school all the way into my first year if college.

So it was with a bit of surprise last week that I realized that not only did I no longer have a library card, I had not actually been to the library in roughly six years.

I went last week, picked up a new card, and am now making a solemn vow to myself to read more.

I actually do like reading, as befits an English major. I like reading novels, plays, poems.

Not textbooks though, that's just a waste of time.

But I was a little bit let down when, in the course of last Sunday's trips to two local libraries, I saw absolutely not one child at the library picking out a book.

Sure, there were tons of kinds picking out DVD's or videos, but not books. It didn't hit me until just now, but that's really a travesty.

It's funny that at my age I'm starting to tell 'When I was a little boy" stories, but I find myself doing it more and more. In addition, I think that girls today dress way too slutty (I know, may the man-law Gods strike me down for saying that), and I will now affectionately refer to them as "biddies." I also think that Americans eat way too much fast food.

And the more people that are younger than me that I come to know, the fewer people there are that actually enjoy reading. Ridiculous.

When I finally find a girl that loves to read, she'll be the one that I marry.

I mean, she has to be a super hottie to boot, but the reading will go a long way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment