Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On Bliss

A very subjective term, I choose to discuss the term "bliss" tonight.

To some, bliss could mean dismembering a body. And I'm not entirely sure why I led with that.

To others, it could mean making the perfect Chicken cordon bleu for dinner and a chocolate sauce to follow with dessert. Or maybe "after" dessert.

Still to others, it could be cuddling with a teddy bear (or two) and enjoying a warmed up brownie or blueberry muffin.

You'll notice that I make reference to food a couple times here, because to a lot of people, food can be the epitome of bliss.

To sports fans, the idea of kicking back and watching your favorite team while munching on some hot wings and a couple beers verges on the orgasmic.

To this guy, bliss can occur in several scenarios.

One, I can be lounging in bed, and one of my dogs will randomly come over and cuddle up with me. It's stupid, but I love it.

Second, the scenario above. On the NFL's opening Sunday this season, I enjoyed buffalo wings and several frosty beverages. And to be quite honest, it was one of the best days I've ever had.

Third, and probably the most "blissful" of the scenarios that I'll lay out here, involves another person. A two person blissfest if you will.

Here it is, I'll set the scene:

It's a weeknight (could be any time between Monday and Thursday night), you're on the couch/lounging surface with the person you love. It doesn't matter what's on TV.

Then all of a sudden, the perfect movie or comedy special or sporting event comes on. You look at your significant other, fully expecting them to exercise their veto power of what program you will be watching. Instead, they look back at you and say "I LOVE this movie/show/team!"

Your heart skips a beat, your mind races, and you just might get a little excited.

THAT, my friends, is bliss.

2 comments: