Thursday, August 25, 2011

Are They Predicting A Hurricane?

I could be wrong, but is there a hurricane heading up the East coast of the U.S.?

I heard something about it on the radio. Or maybe it was tv. Possibly even a newspaper (whatever that is in this day and age).

Or maybe it was all three, plus the internet, word of mouth and probably even sky-writing.

Hurricane Irene is headed straight for the Haastile Homeland of Long Island. It's just a fact at the moment.

However, I have never held any stock in what any meteorologist anywhere has ever said. In fact, I once heard somewhere that "meteorologist" is Latin for "liar."

To demonstrate my point, I looked at weather.com this afternoon, where it said that there was a 50 percent chance of rain in Freeport today. I immediately looked outside to find a torrential downpour.

'Nuff said.

And while I do not doubt the validity of the the statement that a sizable hurricane is currently destroying the Bahamas, and making it's way directly for North Carolina, I'm not entirely sold on it absolutely rocking my world just yet.

First off, it's moving incredibly slow at the moment, and while it was predicted (this morning)to be directly over us by Saturday afternoon, the forecast now says early Sunday morning, possibly even the evening.

And while most of my co-workers and even Haastili-she were obsessively refreshing their webpages for the latest storm updates, I'm still not sold on impending doom. Oh sure, they'll be a ton of rain, and probably some ridiculous wind, but hopefully no devastation.

But just because I'm a superstitious guy (or insane. One of the two), I filled up my car with gas today at the same station in which I fed my car the last time we were going to have a "blizzard," and ended up getting little more than a dusting of the frosty white stuff. It might just be me, but those stupid things count for something in my favor.

So for now, I'll just go about business as usual. And if I do end up eating my words, you'll see me rowing down my block come Monday morning on my closet door.

No comments:

Post a Comment