Monday, January 25, 2010

On Culinary Skills

One of the well known facts about me is my penchant for all things food related. I love to cook and I love to eat.

Hell, my favorite channel on TV is the Food Network (which thank the Lord is finally back). I even subject my poor girlfriend to countless hours of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Or worse yet, Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel.

Put me in a fully stocked kitchen and there's no telling what I'll create.

Tonight's creation involved steak, potatoes, cheese, broccoli, hot sauce and sour cream. This unholy grouping of ingredients actually turned out to be one of the best and most satisfying meals that I've eaten in a long time.

And that kids, is the secret to my culinary prowess. Experimentation. Some people experiment with their stock portfolios, others in the bedroom. I experiment in the kitchen.

My father always did it, so why not his only son? I used to dread the words "Here, try this." Now, not only do I look forward to hearing them, but I find myself saying them often.

So if you're a little gun shy to experiment, it's well worth the attempt. You might create a science experiment. Or you might come up with food nirvana.

You'll never know until you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment